On Thursday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) released their list of TOP SAFETY PICK+ winners for 2016. A TOP SAFETY PICK+ vehicle must receive good ratings in all five tests, as well as offer a "superior" or "advanced" rated front crash prevention system with automatic braking.
We've compiled lease program and vehicle transaction data to find out how much each TOP SAFETY PICK+ vehicle equipped with front crash prevention costs to lease. We've added all 48 winners to LeaseCompare, a sortable and searchable database of lease programs (search for "TSP+"). Here's what we found.
Automatic Braking Can Be Pricey
Each of the TOP SAFETY PICK+ models we've added to LeaseCompare reflects the least expensive configuration of that model with automatic braking capabilities. While some models have automatic braking as standard (all the Volvos in the list, as well as the Scion iA, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and Acura RLX), the rest offer the feature only as an extra-cost option.
For example, while the Audi A3 starts at $31,825, the least expensive configuration of the car with automatic braking is the Prestige trim, which starts at $40,675. We've added the 2016 Audi A3 1.8T Prestige to LeaseCompare, and it's not cheap: $501 per month.
Automatic Braking Can Be Difficult To Find
The availability of automatic braking is a prerequisite for TOP SAFETY PICK+ status; unfortunately, it can be difficult to find a car that's actually equipped with the feature.
For example, of the 478 in-stock FIAT 500X crossovers in Southern California right now, only 4 of them are equipped with the Lounge "Collection 6" package, which is the only way to get automatic braking (and adds $10,500 to the MSRP of a base 500X). Of the 781 Volkswagen Jettas currently for sale in the region, only 16 of them are equipped with automatic braking.
Use LeaseCompare to find out how much it should cost to lease a TOP SAFETY PICK+ with forward automatic emergency braking (search for "TSP+").
- Scion iA: $192
- Honda Accord LX with Honda Sensing: $241
- Volkswagen Jetta SEL with Driver Assistance: $278
- Subaru Legacy Premium with EyeSight: $285
- Acura ILX with AcuraWatch: $295
- Subaru Forester Premium with EyeSight: $297
- Chrysler 200C with SafetyTec: $311
- Toyota Camry XSE with Advanced Technology: $313
- FIAT 500X Lounge Collection 6: $320
- Volkswagen Passat SE: $320
- Mazda 6 Touring with Technology: $322
- Volkswagen Golf SE with Driver Assistance: $328
- Subaru Outback Premium with EyeSight: $335
- Mazda 3 Grand Touring with Technology: $338
- Honda CR-V Touring: $351
- Nissan Maxima SL: $353
- Lexus CT 200h with PCS: $362
- Volvo S60: $366
- Nissan Murano SL with Technology: $371
- Volvo V60: $379
- Honda Pilot EX with Honda Sensing: $382
- Lexus ES 350 with SSP: $386
- Lexus RC 350 with PCS (2015): $392
- Toyota Prius V Five with Advanced Tech: $410
- Toyota RAV4 Limited: $416
- Acura RDX with AcuraWatch: $417
- Subaru WRX Limited with EyeSight: $418
- Lexus NX 200t with PCS: $424
- Hyundai Genesis with Tech (2015): $453
- Acura MDX with AcuraWatch: $478
- Audi A3 1.8T Prestige: $501
- Lexus RC 200t with PCS: $501
- Acura RLX: $508
- Infiniti Q70 with Technology: $514
- Volvo S80: $532
- BMW 228i with Driver Assistance Plus: $537
- Mercedes-Benz E350: $557
- Audi A6 2.0T Premium Plus with Driver Assistance: $576
- Volvo XC90: $639
- Audi Q5 3.0T Prestige with Driver Assistance: $743
About LeaseCompare Estimates
We apply the following assumptions to every vehicle on LeaseCompare:
- 12,000 miles per year
- $0 down payment
- only first month's payment, document fee, and government fees due at signing
- sales tax not included
- acquisition fee rolled into lease
- top tier credit
- a competitive sales price
- includes all rebates available to the general public
LeaseCompare estimates do not include any targeted incentives, which will result in lower lease payments. Putting down multiple security deposits and choosing a lower mileage lease will further reduce the cost of the lease.